Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

I know I've talked a little about being Chinese... American... but I feel the need to bring the issue up again on this seemingly "American" day of Halloween. Let's just be straight... I've never liked Halloween because I've never had a cool costume! This is not a rant against my parents, because its not like they knew what this day was all about when they came from HK. But really, its just another thing about being an in-betweener in this society.
Let's see, the only costumes I can ever remember were all outfits that I had worn already. In other words, I can only remember wearing my little-league baseball uniform, or a Giants shirt, or my basketball jersey. I think I was so embarrassed of being myself as an athlete that I created a deep dislike for the whole dressing-up tradition of the day.
Why couldn't I have had cool costumes like my wife and her siblings? Her parents made their costumes and they were nothing short of amazing... she was once a tomato can, telephone (and her sister was a phone book), and her other sister was once a raisin. How amazing is that? To make your kids' costumes is what its all about. The only thing is that I will continue to dislike Halloween because I don't think I'll have the know-how to make cool costumes for my own kids. Oh yeah, and the whole dark spiritual and completely evil aspect of the celebration is a tad off-putting.... I guess. haha.

No comments: