Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Gameshows of Yesteryear

For some strange reason, my wife is fixated on Wheel of Fortune. Yes, the gameshow that's been around longer than the Internet... I have to admit, I've always enjoyed it myself while growing up. But these days, WOF's concept and prize money seem so pitiful compared to other razzle-dazzle shows.
Some of these new shows are completely out of hand-- $10,000,000 prize?!! I watched the inaugural show of "Power of 10", thinking that it might have something to do with math and intelligent questions. Disappointingly, the show is all guesswork and really has no skill involved whatsoever. The first contestant on the first show won the second highest prize total-- $1 MILLION bucks! For answering a mere 4 questions; the last one he had to guess how many American women consider themselves feminists! I mean, c'mon now, there was a day where you had to at least answer 10 or so somewhat tough trivia questions (Who wants to be a Millionaire). Nowadays, it's pretty ridiculous... take that show "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?"... that show has such a lame concept. Not to mention "Deal or No Deal"-- don't get me started on that one...
Anyway, back to WOF... Stine and I were discussing how we enjoy it so much because it's within our grasp of participating. It's not so brainy like Jeopardy and definitely more challenging than Power of 10. It's good-old-fashioned fun. And they still win a good amount of money, but really it's not about the money. WOF must be doing something right, seeing as how they've been around for so long and people still like to watch it, at least I know we do.

No comments: