Monday, October 8, 2007

You are what you eat...


As we were fellowshipping over the LORD's supper last night, my wife brought up the passage in John 6 where Jesus says,

"I am the bread of life, he who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.... I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

This was such an interesting and challenging statement from Jesus because its so out there. What is he talking about? He couldn't be telling the disciples to physically eat and drink him, riiiiight? Another reason why I'm so glad I was not one of the original disciples-- I would've looked like such an idiot trying to take a bite out of Jesus' neck.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because although strange and outlandish this passage may seem, it is such a rich picture of what Jesus wants for us. Eating and drinking is such an essential day-to-day necessity and he turns it into a whole different meaning. No longer should we be thinking about the physical satisfaction of stuffing our faces with edible food, but we should also consider the spiritual satisfaction and meaning of feasting and taking in our Father. It goes to show that His created is so well known to Him and that while we think/live in one dimension-- His ways are so much deeper and meaningful.

No comments: